Monday, February 9, 2015

Field Research Stuff 1: Contact Person

While writing my proposal, I did not think enough on the viability of my project actually. I mean, I did not pick a very hostile or violent field, but I did not think about how to reach or my ability to reach people that I need to interview or contact. This is something that everyone should keep in mind. Don't repeat my stupid mistakes. I was lucky enough to establish contacts with some people one month before I visit my first field site. What I learned about contacts:

1- If you want to interview various shareholders of the same issue, try hard to find a couple of people with different background and connections who will be willing to help you.

By total chance, once I had the opportunity to contact a bureaucrat, an attorney and a businessman. They connections on the same subject were so different from each other and gave me the unique opportunity to listen different stakeholders and actually made it possible for me to contact easily people from opposing camps. 

2- They are the ones who knows the field and have relations. They can put you in touch with people that you wont be able to access probably.

3- If your research area is the Middle East (mine is) don't forget, everything works on relationship. If you know the right person you are fine, if you dont know, your bad.

When I decided to go to Jordan for my research, I was trying to contact various bureaucrats and technocrats from Ministries, but (this is not Europe) no one reply emails coming out of the blue. Then, a friend of mine used his connections and I conducted almost 10 interviews in 3 or 4 days. This was a new record. 

4- Try to become semi-friends with your primary contacts. These people will be your anchors in the field and they will decide on a daily basis if they still want to help you or not. If you become a friend for them, this daily plebiscite will be much easier for them and have much better outcomes for you.

Primary contacts that you establish before arriving to your field have the potential to determine the direction of your field research. Keep your good relationship with them. There is nothing wrong with being friend if you are able to draw some lines.

To be continued...

4 comments:

  1. If someone warns you not to talk to xwz persons because they are so wrong, absolutely go talk to them! Will your contact be upset about it? Probably they will not notice/care/they will undertstand that's the nature of your job. Often they might think you will just find first-hand confirmation of how XWZ are absolutely unqualified to give valuable information. What id they do get upset you talked to XWZ and threaten you? Dangerous and unpleasent form of research-bullism: better get some distance asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually try to act as if I share their view and go to the other person and do the same to understand the dynamics between them :) Did you experienced any research-bullism?

      Delete
  2. Hi Esra, I love your idea for the blog! Your post made me think of something I read a while ago: Paul Rabinow, Reflections on Fieldwork in Morocco. It is not brandnew, but I found it to be a great and very personal account, full of insights into the crazy dynamics of researchers, friends in the field, informants ... Plus, it is also set in the ME. So, if you get a chance, check it out. Meanwhile, all the best for you and your project, and many hugs from London, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara :) I love Rabinow's works and I read some chapters of that one and it was definitely a really interesting book. For the one interested, here is the amazon link:
      http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-Fieldwork-Morocco-Paul-Rabinow/dp/0520251776

      Delete